Saturday, January 10, 2009

Scene- "Three cups and a song"

Master Dulier had suffered his fill of sniveling apprentices for one day. He sought refuge in one of the many taverns that cling to the great skeleton that is the Mage's Academy. A few pints of dark ale would give his mind a rest, and this bar had the best in dark ales.

The bartender at THE TOMB AND TANKARD was a wisp of a man who's smile seemed to weigh down his whole frame. He smiled that woeful smile and greeted Dulier as he did every night.

"Another long day at the books, eh Master?"

"Peh! Another day shouting at miserable first years that could enchant a wax candle to give of light, even WITH a matchstick." Dulier harrumphed as he gestured to the wooden keg labeled in a dwarven script that roughly translated to Stout of the Night Wanderer.

The tavern was full of regular faces that nodded in repsect to the renowned teacher, as he found his way to his fireside tabel. His eyes were drawn to a group near the window as their voices all raised. A group of third years were gambling and laughing with a man Dulier had never seen before. He had a thing for remembering faces. He payed it no mind and muttered to himself about the practicality of using tuition silvers to gamble with outsiders.

By the time his third drink and second heel of bread swam comfortable in his stomach the bar had managed to filter down to but a handfull of patrons. He was about to make note of the glorious absence of the youthful noisemakers when the chair across from his found itself filled.
The outsider gave him a hollow smile as he set down his tankard.

"I've spent a bit of time asking around these parts, and believe it or not, every person I asked to recommend the finest enchanter in all the city..why they all tell me 'Find Master Dulier'. Yes, they all sang the same sweet tune. There is no doupt in my mind you are the man I am looking for. You have exactly what I need my good Master."

The quick and precise way the man talked gave Dulier pause. It had been a long time since someone had come to HIM in such a bold way. While he held a great reputation for magical enchanting in every form, from axes to armchairs, there were few that came to him for his "special practices". He use to have keywords, or special winks people would use when trying to seek the kinds of magic other mages frowned upon. It had been a while indeed.

"I understand you are skilled in many trades" The stranger continued. "Perhaps you could even write me a song? Oh I do so love ballads. Tell me, could you write me a good long song? One to float in the air. A dark song that would even make an elf cry?"

Any doubt that this man was seeking illegal enchantments had vanished at that. 'A long song' meant he wanted a weapon. 'To float on the air' must have meant an arrow. 'To make an elf cry'...Who was this man, and how did he know these things?

"You are mistaken lad. I am a teacher of the magic arts, not some court magician. You have the wrong man."

A smile broke on the mans face.

"Oh no dear Dulier. I have made sure to select just the right person for this task, and you are he. Come now. Let us have a nice intelligent talk. We are both people of intelligence after all." His voice was heavy with mockery.

"Intelligence? You? You must be joking. Let me tell you a little something about intelligence young man. I have seen into the very eye of existence. I have read enough tombs of history to fill a library the size of this bar. I have spent decades climbing to the rank of ArchMagi, and YOU want to compare intelligence with ME?" Dulier chuckled and gulped down the last drops of his stout.

"Dear master, I meant to offence. I wouldn't dream of comparing my feeble brain with the all knowing that is your arcane mind. But there is something to be said for intelligence after all. It's a precious commodity in these hard times. You are no doupt a rich man in these treasures."

He was no stranger to flattery but Duleir nodded and smiled sheepishly. He felt stupid afterwards. Perhaps it was the ale...

"My good man, I have a splendid idea! I wish to witness you intelligence first hand, if I may?" Without waiting for approval the stranger produced some items from his pocket. Three tin cups and a glass ball. He set them on the table between them, the continued. "How does this sound. You and I play a simple game of Three Cups. Three times I hide the ball. You tell me where it lies, and you win. I hide it from you, and I win. You win twice, I'll leave you alone and never speak your name to anther soul. I win and you consider writing me this song I am dying to hear."

Dulier was not a gambling man, but this fellow amused him. It HAD been a rather long and painful day of dealing with students and their follys. A little game of wits sounded so very tempting.

"Allright then, I'll play your game. You win so much as once and I'll admit that I am indeed a scribe of fine musics. You win twice and I'll even give you a splendid discount." With the spells Dulier lived his very life by this game would be a mockery.

"Very good Master! Very good!" Without skipping a beat the man places the cup on the flat wooden table, and places a tin cup over it. The other two were placed on either side of it, and thus the game began.

The cups began to shift carefully under the strangers hands. It was a simple display. One hand over the other. First left, then right. Forward, then back, then reverse. Any common welp on the street would have lost track when his speed first increased, but Master Dulier had eyes that could read ancient scripts, and look into far of planes of existence. These cups were no challenge. Abruptly the cups stopped and the man places his hands on either side. Without hesitation Dulier lifted the right cup and out rolled the glass ball. The strangers face went a little white. Dulier chuckled to himself.

"Now now young man, you still have two tries. I say, I just got lucky is all. Lets try this again. Don't hold back for an old man like me." Dulier was beside himself at the taste of these sweet taunts.

"Right then" The man said unsure and a bead of sweat dripped from his brow. He began with the cups again in the same way. Dulier watched with amusement as he attempted to trick his eye. He followed the cup ball effortlessly. Just then a cup jumped off the table at the flick of the gamblers wrist and the ball flew up into the air.

"What is thi-"

Dulier was cut off as a second cup slashed out and scooped the ball out of the air, while the third was tossed up. The two cups now on the table danced back and forth. The empty one rolled over the mans palm with a spin and the second was tipped up to reveal the ball again. The airborn cup was snatched and came crashing down on the ball followed by the other two cups stacking on top o fit. All three were now off the table being shifted around right side up with the ball jumping back and forth like a drop of water on a layer of scalding oil. A twinkle sparked in the strangers eye that distracted Dulier for a split second, but in the instant he lost focus the cups were slammed down, and the strangers hands slowly moved away.

Shocked by the display of dexterity, Dulier looked down hesitantly. He was sure he had kept the ball in sight despite the juggling, but there was a shadow of doubt in his mind. Reassuring himself he reached out.

"Your quick lad, but no mere cup can hide from me this..." The cup he raised was empty.

"Now dear master, about that song? Or would you rather play the last round before you tell me what I want to hear?" The stranger had a cold apathy in his eyes that reminded him of some jungle cat, yet his lips curled into a grin.

"Oh, we will play again" Growled Dulier "But this time the cups are mine, and it is YOUR eye that must stay keen!" He was almost barking as he snatched the cups and the tiny ball.

A look of fascination washed over the mans face.

"Now that does sound like a bit of fun good Master." He folded his arms and stared at the Duleir with that hunters gaze.

Dulier was past being made a fool by this commoner, and knew just how to set him straight.

He placed the cups down, and put the ball beneath the middle one. Moving his hands slowly and carefully, Dulier began to whisper something under his breath. The speed of his hands increased without warning. The muttering sounded like no more than breathing, but as the cups swayed and shifted the spell completed. He left the cups at rest and chuckled to himself as he pulled his hands away. He looked up and to his shock he realized the stranger had never broken this gaze. His eyes didn't even appear to be on the cups. His hand reached out and he placed his finger on the middle cup.

"This one" Said the young man without the slightest pause.

Dulier could hardly keep his laughter in. This fool had no idea that right now the ball was somewhere in the southern kingdoms, smoking from the magical teleportation.

"You sound so sure of yourself young man, but I'm afraid to say that you-"

He was cut off

"I KNOW the ball is under this cup dear Master, and I will tell you why." Never taking his finger off the cup, his other hand moved forward and grabbed the cup on its left. "I know its under this cup because it isn't under this one..." He knocked the left cup over idly revealing nothing "And it isn't under this one" he flicked over the right cup revealing no ball. "So unless my dear Master wants me to believe the ball simply vanished, it simply MUST be under this cup." He never lifted it or broke eye contact.

That night Dulier complained to himself for hours as he toiled to put the final touches on the magical arrow that could cost him his job, if ever was discovered.

"I can't believe I gave him the gloves so bloody cheap...." He harrumphed as the sun began to rise.

1 comment:

Keizer said...

Well played, well written, and many thanks!