The flames of mankind shed no true light. Only the Single Eternal Fire of the Sacred Ones can truly cut through the darkness of evil.
Ahead, the Sacred Temple of Seven Tranquil Pools loomed, blanketing the farming village of Mio'Gan in the shadow of its stone walls. They had requested my service two days ago, and I had put much ground beneath my feet since then to make it here so quickly.
The Master of the Temple sent word to dozens of nearby villages, and before long word finally reached me. They seemed surprised that the Oni were able to break into their holy sanctum. Perhaps if they practiced the teachings of a true deity, not some apathetic sun god, their enemies wouldn't sleep beside them. The place was swarming with demon spirits. I could sense them from here. It seems their God has forsaken them.
And so did the word of their troubles reach me. And so did I come, to serve my great lord Bahamut, and cleans the world of the impurities and evil forces that fall in my path. Where their Gods have failed, mine shall burn bright.
The temple had not been entered in days, and long since had the rows of lanterns been burned out. The hallways smelled half of death, and the darkness pulsed with urges to pull me in and consume me. I let them down. With a whisper I filled the palm of my hand with golden flame, and in fear the darkness retreated.
It was not long after I began navigating the hallways of the foreign structure that I came across the first servant of evil. A young woman, no doubt one of the young priestesses in training, shuffled out from what I had assumed was an empty room. A mask of incorporeal energy floated before her face, and sneered at me with its dark twisted features. She was possessed.
'Leave this place, and leave that girl alone Demon' I spoke, invoking the will of Bahamut to send waves of terror at the monster. She took a step back, but with a shudder continued towards me, now with more tenacity. They were stronger than I had anticipated. She broke into a charge.
I met her head on, grabbing her by the wrists and attempting to throw her to the ground. The demon inside her gave her great strength, and I found myself thrown back against the left wall. A few lanterns fell from the impact, and dust kicked up around me. She turned to face me and again began to charge. It was time to end this. As she drew near, I focused my will into the golden flame in my hand, and at my command the small ball of light extending into a gleaming blade of fire. It's edgeless form tore through her flesh, splitting her body from shoulder to hip. The demon was dead, and so was the girl.
At this point reader, I judge that you frown on me for killing the innocent young woman. For this I commend you. This tells me that you have a good heart, and respect life above all other things. It also tells me that you will never truly embrace the fires of Bahamut. She had been weak, and corrupted by the spirits of evil. To save her would be to spare the demon, and the life of one does not out-way the risk of hundreds of others.
I continued down the hall, my path now lit by the humming blade of fire at my fingertips. It had been weakened from the last strike, but it was still a lethal weapon. In my search for the den of evil within The Temple of Seven Tranquil Pools, I encountered several more possessed humans, and with great pride cut them down, sending their demons back to hell. More on this I see no need to mention. As I drew nearer the heart of this infestation I could feel the warmth of Bahamuts flames inside me. I knew my work was pleasing him. He gladly blew his flames into my soul, and kindled my faith time and time again.
I rounded the corner into the main hall of the temple. I witnessed for the first time, the Seven Tranquil Pools. Their once clear reflective water was stagnant with blood and floating entrails. Seated against an desecrated statue of the Sun God Taiu, rested a monstrous bloated Oni. The demon was surrounded by pieces of the humans he had fed upon, and the stains of blood ran all down the front of his glistening blue hide. His snores rumbled the stones of the foundation. I decided to act quickly.
Calling forth the blessing of the Great One, I called forth a new blade of fire, burning stronger than before. Wasting no time I ran to his sleeping frame and plunged the blade deep into his swollen bulbous stomach. He awoke.
One of his huge legs kicked out and flung me back across the room. The force rattled my bones, and made my thoughts swim. Rising to his feet he wiped away the wound I had inflicted to him. He then began to laugh at my attack.
'You are brave human, but your mortal fires will not burn my hellborn flesh' He uttered in a deep unnatural tongue. In two strides he was on my fallen form, and hefted me off the ground with one hand. His massive fingers wrapped around me and began to crush me in a death grip.
Calling on any force I could muster to help me with my hands bound up against my sides, I sang out to Bahamut, and again he gave to me his fire. From each eye a searing beam of heat shot out and struck the monster on the nose. I could tell the fire didn't burn him, but the surprise loosed his grip, and I broke free falling to the ground.
His laughter was cacophonous. 'Foolish weakling! Your magic feels like nothing more than a warm breeze to me!' Another kick sent my body crashing into the stone walls of the Temple. I was quite damaged now, and the blood coursing through me was thumping in my ears, deafening me. Despite the damages I had suffered, I rose to me feet. My legs shook under my weight. He was in mid stride towards me, to finish the kill. I met his eyes, and it seemed my leer gave him pause. He looked as though he saw something more than the broken frame of a simple human before him.
'You have yet to feel true fire, you soulless monster. My flames are not those of man, but the Golden Fire of the Dragon Lord. Now I will show you true hell.'
I was not met by praise and cheers as I re-entered the village, the victor. The citizens and priests simple looked on in disbelief. Some held back tears, other held back curses. I granted them the blessings of Bahamut, and left them to rebuild the fallen temple. The very stones had been burned away to ash, and all that was left of the Temple of Seven Tranquil Pools was a smoldering black heap. A simple building was a small price to pay to rid the world of yet another hellborn.
In the weeks that followed I traveled from town to town, as my practice dictates. On the dusk of the second week I received a strange letter. I was told simply that it had been delivered by a bird, and it had my name on it.
It told me of an organization, far far away. On the mainland of All That Is. They claimed to be in pursuit of a great evil. Greater than any the world had seen since ages past. They had men who knew about the world of dragons, but it was not enough. They were asking for my aid, for it is one thing to know dragons, and another to be of their world. Indeed sacred gold blood coursed through my veins, if even faintly, and I was one with the ancient ones. I decided to follow their call, yet reluctant to give my trust before more information was gained. I had wanted to visit the mainland since I was a boy. I longed to see the dragons of their world, and learn of their habits. I longed to spread the blessings of Bahamut further than the shores of Nyruken. It was time to leave this place.
I purchased a book of languages and left the next day on Longboat sailing towards All That Is.
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment